A good Chicken Salad can save the day!
One of the hardest parts about staying on track with our food goals is getting so busy that you feel like you don't have time to come up with or make healthier options. Here's one solution to that, a healthy chicken salad you can make when you have a few extra minutes to have on hand for lunches, snacks, even dinner on those crazy busy days.
While you don't need a recipe to make a good chicken salad, some people just aren't up for winging it! Here's a little starting point and you can adjust it to meet your preferences:
- 2 medium chicken breasts poached or baked
- About a 1/4 cup of plain Greek yogurt
- about 1 Tbs of red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp chopped fresh herb of choice (parsley,chives, oregano, etc.)
- About 1/4 cup of chopped scallions, celery, grapes, cranberries or any combo you like
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Optional scant Tbs or mayo if you like it a little creamier
You can eat this on a nice whole grain bread, in a lettuce wrap, on a Wasa cracker or even with cucumbers and carrots. I especially like having this on hand for the kids' lunches because then they're less likely to grab PB&J (or as I like to call it, a candy sandwich. I buy natural peanut butter but jelly? loaded with sugar, even when it's homemade).
This requires a minimal amount of forethought but can really save the day when you're pressed for time and don't want to throw all of those healthy eating efforts out the window. Don't be afraid to get a little creative and if you come up with one you love, please share it with me, I'd love to try your fave.